[Public-List] Stand-On vs Right-of-Way

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 07:35:01 PDT 2018

Mike,

Have seen what you are speaking of, a bit of excessive deference,
frequently at intersections.
Among them, a four way stop near my house.  Not uncommon to have at least
two or more cars
all stopped with the drivers looking at each other.  Dont know if they dont
know rules as to who
should go first, dont trust the other drivers, or are displaying an excessive
deference that approaches
timidity.

See it as well in drivers that will stop at a stop sign.  See a car
approaching the intersection at a normal
and decreasing speed, yet will not move till other car, the approaching
car, has come to a complete stop.

As I understand it, it is incumbent on the stand-on boat, to stand-on, to
be as predictable as possible so
that the give-way boat may make a decision and be confident that the
stand-on boat will not start
jigging around confusing the situation.

Dont know how one addresses these issues.

Jonathan

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 2:28 PM, Mike Meinhold via Public-List <

> The recent discussion of anchors on the bow has gotten me to think about
> the results of the Stand-On /Give Way versus old Right-Of-Way/ Burdened
> rules, both in COLREGS and in sailboat racing.   The concept that all
> parties share a duty to avoid contact is an excellent one, in my opinion.
>
> However, in practice I believe it leads to confusion, and causes some
> collisions that could have been avoided with more simple direct rules. A
> parallel example is when two polite people walk toward each other, and each
> tries to defer by stepping aside, and they end up in a little dance . I
> have witnessed port/starboard cases in sailboat racing where the stand-on
> vessel sees the need to take action to avoid collision, while the Give-Way
> vessel, with tighter tolerance for close quarters, is preparing to duck .
> The stand-on vessel turns down, and collision or at least contact becomes
> inevitable.
>
> I am not saying we should go back to the old rules, but perhaps more
> refinement is required to avoid contact due to different tolerances.
>
> Mike
> Rinn Duin #272

Jonathan M Bresler
S/V Constance Alberg 30 #262