[Public-List] Drain plugs

Rod Symmes weatherhelm at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 3 09:13:46 PST 2018

Gord:
A plumbing lesson that might give you further food for thought.
For years I winterized a couple of water pumps at the cottage by pulling the drain plugs. One spring the threads were so rusted that I too had to run a tap in order to install the plugs.  That is when I realized that a lot of the rust occurred because of exposure to air. (even more of a problem with cast iron plugs)  My new routine is to pull the plug and while it drains, rap fresh Teflon tape on the plug, then re-install.  I always have clean threads and no searching for the "safe" place I put them.

Rod