[Public-List] Damn screws

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sun Jun 3 07:38:45 PDT 2018

And THAT, reminds me of a true story… in 1975 I was in first year of university.  I didn’t own a boat yet, but did own an anchor, a 25lb CQR that I’d bought because I knew I’d have a boat for it some day…

Disco was king at student dances etc.   I took a course that involved a field trip for a week to Colonial Williamsburg in the States which involved doing research in their special collections… wonderful course, great professors; absolutely hooked me on studying history.    One night a posse of us decided to go to Norfolk Virginia, not far away, to see the night life there.  We ended up in a huge drinking hall that featured strippers, which I’d never seen before.  (wow, so THAT is what that stuff really looks like…) The patrons were largely US marines and USN sailors, all drinking hard.  Some sparking point I never saw occurred and I have a clear impression the whole crowd suddenly standing up, chairs flying and people really hurting each other as the Marines and Sailors began fighting.    We innocents flattened ourselves against a wall.

The management of the place turned the lights on bright, and the ‘entertainers’ fled instantly from the stage.  Then, onto the sound system came music I’d never heard… Bruce Springsteen’s ‘Born to Run’.   From the first chords I knew this was something good…an antidote to disco...  what an introduction to the return of good music…

MP’s came in and began indiscriminately pounding anyone within reach with short clubs… I am not referring to Members of Parliament… this was the USA so it was Military Police…. we got out unscathed.    We were very lucky, partly about getting out unharmed, but mostly because we’d been giving the strippers ‘Canadian Tire’ money as tips… it was only a matter of time before they realized they were getting a department store chain's ten and twenty-five cent discount coupons, and not real Canadian money.  We’d have been killed…

Unforgettable night in Virginia…

Gordon Laco
www.gordonlaco.com