[Public-List] Which caulk for cockpit teak combing joining to fiberglass?

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 16:51:14 PST 2018

Randy,

Don't know which caulk to use between the coamings and the deck.
With you, I am also looking forward to see what is recommended.

Replacing the coamings with teak would be quite expensive.
So its quite understandable to be looking at other materials.
Wes Gardner installed "mini" coamings, just enough to fill the
"shelf" in the fiberglass and mounted the winches directly to the
side decks.  If you search the list archives, expect you will find
his notes on this.

You might want to consider oak coamings.  Oak is much cheaper
than teak and if sealed well, may last quite a number of years.

Thoughts?

Jonathan
Rather than Starboard, you might want to

On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 7:45 PM Randy Katz via Public-List <

> Greetings, All,
>
> I finally got my ratty combing boards off the boat. It wasn’t that
> difficult, but I found plugged screws in the outside quarter round (one at
> each end, along the deck/combing joint) that went snuggly into the deck. I
> wondered if this was the original installation.
>
> Many layers of chipped, worn Cetol have to go; I’m planning to clean and
> oil the boards for an easier maintenance regime.
>
> I know that when I replace them I’ll need to caulk between the combing and
> their fiberglass seats, on he outside of the cockpit. I read about butyl,
> but it seems to degrade in UV. Polysulfide seems likely, a better choice,
> but which brand/what type?
>
> I understand some have replaced the teak with plastic Starboard— any
> comments about that idea?
>
> Many thanks, best Regards,
>
> Randy Katz
> #259 Simple Gifts