[Public-List] Bulkhead Repair

Marcelo D. Gentinetta vanguard64 at cox.net
Mon Oct 22 05:14:57 PDT 2018

Good morning,
I would suggest that you check the core around the slot for the chainplate also. The new portion of bulkhead should be tabbed to the hull on all contact surfaces and even to the underside of the deck. I would use only 3/4 inch marine ply and seal the edge along the chainplate slot with epoxy to prevent future rot. I replaced all my chainplates and forward lower knees last year. In addition, I re-inforced all the other bulkheads. On the SB side the area around the slot for the upper chainplate had significant core rot approximately 6 inches all around which required a recore. All the other slots had just about 1inch of deteriorated core around the slot. On those, I scooped out the core around the slots and filled with epoxy thickened with silica. I replaced the original chainplates with new ones manufactured out of 316 stainless bar stock. I used 1 1/4inch  X 1/4 inch plates and drilled for 3/8 inch bolts.

Marcelo
Alegría #441