[Public-List] Bulkhead Repair

Jonathan whittle at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 22 08:32:35 PDT 2018

Hi John,
             I had to deal with this same problem two years ago. 3 of the chain plate bulkheads were compromised. There is a product out there that is a fiberglass vinyl sheet, 3/4 or 1/2 inch thick. Cuts like wood. I cut out the damaged area after removing the tang . There is a fiberglass pocket around both sides of the bulkhead which I left in place but cleaned it right out. The new replacement piece was cut to fit the old damaged area and fit right into that pocket. Then I fiber glassed the whole thing with matting across the wood to new product and painted after fairing. It is a chore to do but it worked. I then made 1/4 inch thick plastic vinyl squares with a very tight slot for the tangs and stuffed mastic under it before sliding the plate over the tang and screwing it to the deck. Seems to have solved the Alberg albatross(!) permanently. Hope this helps. Jonathan Whittingham. Emmy#25

Sent from my iPad