[Public-List] Bulkhead Repair

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 10:58:30 PDT 2018

Dont know the thickness that you need.  I have not taken that measurement,
as far as I know.
"g10 fiberglass sheets" search in Google will show many sources.
An example is
https://www.eplastics.com/sheets/fiberglass/g10-fr4-epoxy/custitem17/0.500/custitem19/Natural

Might be worth checking to see if its less expensive to buy two 1/4" pieces
and laminate them together yourself.
Just checked prices at eplastics ... not worth the effort to laminate ...
less than a dollar difference in price.

The difference between FR4 and G10 is
"The main difference between NEMA Grades *G10* and *FR4* is that *FR4* is a
fire retardant grade of *G10*. Therefore, *FR4* can be safely substituted
where *G10* is called out, while *G10* can never be substituted where *FR4* is
called for."

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 12:59 PM John Irving via Public-List <

> I’m not familiar with G10.  Where would I find it?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Oct 22, 2018, at 12:08 PM, americo silva via Public-List <
> >
> > I am no expert but laying up say a half inch piece of fiberglass the same
> > size as the bulkhead would prevent future rot or is G10 strong enough?
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 11:32 AM Jonathan via Public-List <
> > public-list at lists.alberg30.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi John,
> >>             I had to deal with this same problem two years ago. 3 of the
> >> chain plate bulkheads were compromised. There is a product out there
> that
> >> is a fiberglass vinyl sheet, 3/4 or 1/2 inch thick. Cuts like wood. I
> cut
> >> out the damaged area after removing the tang . There is a fiberglass
> pocket
> >> around both sides of the bulkhead which I left in place but cleaned it
> >> right out. The new replacement piece was cut to fit the old damaged area
> >> and fit right into that pocket. Then I fiber glassed the whole thing
> with
> >> matting across the wood to new product and painted after fairing. It is
> >> chore to do but it worked. I then made 1/4 inch thick plastic vinyl
> squares
> >> with a very tight slot for the tangs and stuffed mastic under it before
> >> sliding the plate over the tang and screwing it to the deck. Seems to
> have
> >> solved the Alberg albatross(!) permanently. Hope this helps. Jonathan
> >> Whittingham. Emmy#25
> >>
> >> Sent from my iPad

> >> while.  The bulkhead forward of the head has rotted next to the hull.
> The
> >> chainplate support is compromised.  Replacing the entire bulkhead looks
> >> like a major project.  Has anyone experience with this problem?

Jonathan M Bresler
S/V Constance Alberg 30 #262
Annapolis/Eastport MD