[Public-List] Bulkhead Repair

Rolph and Joan Townshend joanrolph4 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 12:54:15 PDT 2018

John - I had that same problem with the starboard bulkhead. I had earlier
helped a friend replace the whole bulkhead and that was almost imposible.
Very, very difficult. So I cut the bulkhead straight down from top to
bottom about 8 inches from the hull. Used the piece as a pattern for a
replacement piece. I bought 1/2 of a sheet 1/4 inch thick of marine teak
plywood, (teak on one side).and coupled that with a piece of plywood to
bring the thickness to the same as the original bulkhead. Then made a
backing plate of 3/4 plywood to mount on the back side of the cut 6 inches
on the remaining bulkhead material and ran all the way to the hull from top
to bottom.  Mounted the new teak piece in place and epoxeyed the 3/4 ply to
the replacement piece and to 6 inches of the original bulkhead, using SS
bolts to secure the 3/4 ply piece to the old bulkhead and the whole thing
to the hull flange with the replacement teak ply on the bow side of the
flange and the 3/4 piece on the stern side of the flange. I had to cut the
thickness of the flange off of the 3/4 piece and the thicknes of the
chainplate off as well so the chainplate mounted between the two ply
pieces. so that the two pieces were epoxeyed exactly together over the
entire surface. The flange bolts went through the teak replacement piece,
the flange , then the 3/4 ply with washers and nuts tight. The chainplate
dropped into the slot between the two plys and with lots of caulk was
bolted in place.
Never had any trouble with that problem again.
Towney

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 1:58 PM Jonathan Bresler via Public-List <