[Public-List] Cracked Stern Tube - Laugh or Cry?

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 15:35:37 PDT 2018

Daniel

The stern tube is bedded in a wad of polysulfide.  The polysulfide may have
separated from the hull or the tube or both allowing water to leak past.
Rebedding the stern tube can be done.  A couple of the folks on the email
list have done it.  Good bit of work.  Winter is coming.  Good time to do
the work.

The upside is that this is the opportunity to pull the engine, clean up the
bilge, reseal the stern tube, replace the cutlass bearing if needed, paint
the bilge, make it all very nice and clean and new looking.  A chain hoist
over the boom lifts the engine. Sailor James has a YouTube video of pulling
and installing the engine in Tritea (sp?) #64

Jonathan

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 6:18 PM Daniel Swords via Public-List <

> My boat (hull #525) has recently been suffering from a slow leak at the
> stern tube. The local boat yard assessment is a cracked stern tube which
> agrees with my assessment of the leak location. Their initial estimate for
> repair is approximately $9,000. I don’t know if I should laugh or cry. I
> guess my next option is to find a yard that will let me do the work myself
> and to see if I can repair/replace the stern tube without removing the
> engine and fuel tank. Thoughts or condolences are
> appreciated. Daniel Solitude Mandeville, LA
>

> Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Jonathan M Bresler
S/V Constance Alberg 30 #262
Annapolis/Eastport MD