[Public-List] Cracked Stern Tube - Laugh or Cry?

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon Sep 17 14:58:54 PDT 2018

On 9/17/18 5:36 PM, Jonathan Bresler via Public-List wrote:
> Remember hearing form various sources that cutlass bearings and the rest
> are tricky
> "cause the stern tube might turn or twist and break its bond to the
> deadwood".
> Seems that won't be a problem in this Triton given the amount of epoxy
> applied.

This was my fear, and the reason I pulled and rebedded the stern tube
when I noticed that it had turned. The hose clamp screws were no longer
pointed up where a screwdriver could reach them.

It turned out that this is an unnecessary worry. The water is contained
by the cutless bearing housing (and bolts), and the stuffing box. The
caulking of the stern tube itself is not critical.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org