[Public-List] Cracked Stern Tube - Laugh or Cry?

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 03:33:37 PDT 2018

Wondering about replacing the original stern tube with a fiberglass one.
Might the steps be as follows?  Anything missing?  Any misunderstandings?
Advantages vs disadvantages of fiberglass over the original?

Install fiberglass stern tube

   - Remove wad of material inside the boat around the stern tube
   - Remove existing stern tube
   - Remove propeller
   - Remove existing cutlass bearing housing
   - Buy replacement cutlass bearing
   - Buy fiberglass stern tube with large enough internal diameter to house
   the cutlass bearing and long enough to reach engine
   - Enlarge hole in deadwood to take the new fiberglass stern tube
   - Cut fiberglass stern tube to fit from engine to somewhat outside boat
   - Insert spare cutlass bearing into one end of fiberglass stern tube
   - Insert new cutlass bearing into the other end
   - Drill holes in either side of the fiberglass stern tube for set screws
   to hold the cutlass bearing in the deadwood
   - Slide stern tube into place so that one end is nearly touching the
   shaft coupling and the other protrudes out of the deadwood
   - Align engine to stern tube and cutlass bearings
   - Fiberglass the fiberglass stern tube into place
   - Pull propeller shaft
   - Cut fiberglass stern tube to allow space for the stuffing box
   - Remove cutlass bearings from fiberglass stern tube
   - Polysulfide and set screw cutlass bearing into fiberglass stern tube
   - Install stuffing box onto fiberglass stern tube
   - Install propeller shaft
   - Check alignment and re-align if needed
   - Done
   -
   - about half way down
   http://www.lackeysailing.com/archived/hattiemae/june09/62209.htm
   - bottom paragraphs of
   http://www.lackeysailing.com/archived/hattiemae/june09/62309.htm
   - first half of
   http://www.lackeysailing.com/archived/hattiemae/june09/62409.htm
   - middle of
   http://www.lackeysailing.com/archived/hattiemae/june09/63009.htm
   - lower portion of
   http://www.lackeysailing.com/archived/hattiemae/july09/70209.htm
   - top half of
   http://www.lackeysailing.com/archived/hattiemae/july09/70309.htm

Jonathan

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 1:15 PM, Gordon Laco via Public-List <

Jonathan M Bresler
S/V Constance Alberg 30 #262
Annapolis/Eastport MD