[Public-List] Cracked Stern Tube - Laugh or Cry?

Hernán Scarnichia hernanscar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 10:23:15 PDT 2018

I did it with just a few small differences
I calculated the length of tube needed to allow space for stuffing box and
propeller and cut it before installing. I think I left it a bit long on the
outside, but not on the inside, not very comfortable to work in there...
To align the tube I used a 7/8 wooden dowel as a shaft (the real shaft and
coupler was in the machine shop) I used the cutless bearing on one end and
masking tape wrapped on the dowel on the other end to center the tube. I
don't remember how I attached the dowel to the transmission coupler so it
would stay centered, there was duct tape involved.
Then glued the tube to the hull with epoxy: I drilled two small holes on
the sides of the hull to inject epoxy into the small gap between the tube
and hull, then injected epoxy until it was oozing front and back all around
the tube, once that epoxy was cured I removed the cutless bearing and the
shaft and applied a few layers of cloth inside and out (grind a tapered
hollow on outside before)
I also removed the engine to get better access, I needed to get in there
with a grinder and a few sanding disks and wire brushes to clean up and
make sure the new fiberglass would stick. then I put the engine back to
align, then took it off again to fiberglass, and then on again. made a
crate for it so it could sit on the cabin floor.
I did not use polysulfide between the cutless bearing and the tube, I used
epoxy and a mold release wax on the bearing, then the setscrews. the
clearance between bearing and tube was pretty tight to begin with.
I used a 1 foot long 2"od x 1.5"id fiberglass tube