[Public-List] USCG Alert re sailboat nav lights' vertical angle

Michael Connolly crufone at comcast.net
Sun Apr 7 07:27:35 PDT 2019

George and John,
I don't know the beam angle of the LED. There is only one LED flat square pad on this replacement lamp. I assume that the light just comes straight off the LED pad. The glass lenses I have are dome shaped and are about 1-1/4" half sphere. The bronze housing covers most of the lens except at the leading edge. I assumed that the light emitted from the source, either LED or incandescent illuminates the entire inside of the half sphere lens and then exits only where permitted by the opening in the bronze housing. In my understanding the entire glass globe glows with light. There is no attempt of the glass to focus the emitted illumination. Whatever escapes through the bronze housing is available to be broadcast. I assume the distance that it can be seen is based on the candle power of the illumination source.

My boat #133 has the original 1966 navigation light fixtures. This is really low tech stuff. I assumed that if these qualified in 1966 for two miles visibility using the incandescent lamps to "glow" the glass dome that the LED would do the same. Maybe I can do some tests.

Michael