[Public-List] USCG Alert re sailboat nav lights' vertical angle

mahseer at kos.net mahseer at kos.net
Mon Apr 8 04:58:07 PDT 2019

The incandescent filament is a point source of light that emits in all directions and the half sphere focus,s the light rays back to the filament thus increasing the light level that is emitted out. There may also be horizontal rings above and below the centre dome lens these also focus the light back to the centre filament. Good assembly’s will also have at the back of the housing a metal reflector behind the bulb to again helping light output.
John Boor

Sent from my iPad