[Public-List] Garboard drains

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sun Apr 21 06:48:12 PDT 2019

Good day Greg,

First I’ll comment that it sounds like you’re considering putting the garboard drain through the bottom of the keel… this would be a very dangerous thing to do.  If you ever went aground, even lightly, you could break the fitting off or even drive it up through the bottom of the keel resulting in a serious leak that would be impossible to get at.  your boat would sink.

A better place is on one side or the other of the lower keel…

Bronze fittings last forever.  We supply good English made fittings that are more expensive than the much less expensive Chinese-made ones.  The difference is comforting knowledge of the alloy.   So what type do I have?  A Chinese one.   I needed it quickly to beat launch day and had none in stock and couldn’t wait.  Oh well, it seems to be surviving OK.

I bedded mine with Boatlife Lifecaulk… and fixed it in place by drilling and tapping for machine screws.   If you bed with epoxy or 5200 you’ll never get the fitting off if you ever need to replace it.  Reasons to replace would include messing up the threads, losing the plug, corrosion… etc.

Gordon Laco
#426 Surprise