[Public-List] Garboard drains

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sun Apr 21 07:05:30 PDT 2019

I should add…

The year I put my garboard drain in, I was in a rush to do it between a work project that took me out of town and launch day.  I wondered how to locate the hole so as to miss the iron ballast and put the question out to this list, where I’d received much good advice in the past.

Promptly a instructions with specific measurements referencing from the lower after extremely of the keel came back.    I went down to the boat, measured forward the prescribed distance and up as specified… and drilled.

If any of you heard cursing coming from Canada one morning years ago, that was me when my drill hit iron.   I was too far forward and too low…I had not missed the ballast, rather I’d made a useless hole that only went through the encapsulating fibreglass skin.

The next day I came back to do something else on the boat and discovered that the iron ballast’s outline was revealing itself in the morning chill by condensation caused by warm moist spring air on the area of the bottom backed by the still-cold iron.   I re-drilled and mounted the garboard plug.

Now I had to deal with the other hole.   I kept the round piece of Surprise’s bottom and lightly sanded it on it’s bottom and sides.  I filed and sanded the hole in the boat so that instead of have parallel sides as the hole saw made, it had angled funnel-like sides more like a crater.   I sanded an area around the hole.   I made up a batch of epoxy and thickened it to the constancy of peanut butter.    I ‘painted the bare fibreglass and iron keel that was visible with raw epoxy, then troweled in the thick stuff.   I then pressed in the plug of bottom I’d pried out of the hole saw and troweled off the epoxy that was pressed out.   I covered the whole thing with wide masking tape to hold the epoxy and plug in while the goop cured.

Next day I came back and peeled the tape off… and sanded the whole thing smooth.  I then painted raw epoxy over the sanded area, and laid on a pre-cut circular piece of fibreglass cloth.   I again covered my work with wide masking tape to hold things in while the epoxy cured.

Next day came back and took off the tape, sanded the work smooth, and slapped on some bottom paint.   That part of her bottom is probably stronger now that it was before.

While all this was going on I installed the garboard plug in a place that missed the ballast… It’s not right at the bottom of the bilge, but I don’t really care if a bit of water remains in there.

Gord
#426 Surprise