[Public-List] Garboard drains

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sun Apr 21 16:30:08 PDT 2019

Hello Mike -

I think only a very few A30’s had lead ballast, perhaps only one or two.  Whitby switched to iron to make the boats less expensive.   Lead was not an issue because those keels would have been cast at a foundry far from the plant.  They would have received the ballast pigs precast and just lowered them into the hulls just as lead ones were.

Whitby put lead ballast into their Whitby 42’s, Alberg 37’s, Whitby 45’s quite safely and happily right up to the end of production in the ’80’s.   And of course production of those boats came after they’d been building Alberg 30’s and Folkboats with iron keels for quite some time.

Come to think of it, the only Alberg 30 with a lead keel I think I ever heard of was a black hulled one named HERSELF.   I think that may have been the only one.

Gord Laco
#426 Surprise