[Public-List] Stern Tube Bedding

Andrew Johns johnsab9 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 07:29:04 PDT 2019

Good Morning,
In my rapidly snowballing shaft seal project... I have removed the cutlass
bearing housing to replace worn bearing.

I removed the bolts holding it to the keel and rotated it with a pipe
wrench in an effort to get it to thread from the stern tube.  Unfortunately
the whole bearing housing and stern tube assembly came out as one piece.
Fortunately its in good shape but the two pieces are hopelessly stuck
together.

Looking back though the list it appears Whitby used some sort of caulk to
bond in the assembly? Dolponite?  What is the groups thoughts on using 5200
to reinstall the stern tube/ bearing housing?

Additionally, should I be worried about the threads in the keel striping
out?  It don't appear to have any metal inserts or anything of that sort.

Thanks,
Andrew Johns
Ecola # 104
Colchester VT