[Public-List] OT: "Gackle your cables"

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 14:59:10 PDT 2019

Rod,

Thank you very much.  Its definitely a 'g' and not a 'c', confirmed by
searching the contents of the book at the Amazon.com link.
Keckling (or Cackling) is interesting as Chapman's _The_Sailor's_Lexicon_
has it as "covering a cable spirally (in opposition to "rounding",
which is close) with three-inch old rope to protect it from chafe in the
hawse-hole.'  That word, keckling, fits well with the rough weather
expected
to arrive soon.

I believe that you have found it!

Jonathan

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 9:30 PM Rod Symmes via Public-List <

> Jonathan;
>        " Gackle" does not appear in my 744 page " Sailor's Word Book" ,
> however, when I checked the definitions for " cable " they listed "
> Cackling or Keckling " was the process of splicing two cables together to
> extend the length.  Does this make sense in the context of your story ?
> My tired old eyes sometimes have trouble distinguishing  C  and  G  in
> certain fonts.   Is that a possibility ?
>
> Cheers,     Rod

Jonathan M Bresler
S/V Constance Alberg 30 #262
Annapolis/Eastport MD