[Public-List] diesel woes

Andrew Johns johnsab9 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 06:45:03 PDT 2019

Gordon,
As somone that has fixed several westerbekes... I have a couple of
thoughts.

1) Don't forget the small secondary filter attached to the engine, it
sometimes gets overlooked when changing filters.

2)  Most westerbekes have an electric fuel pump and on some of the later
models, it is wired to operate only when the oil pressure switch is closed
(ie engine running / cranking) or when the preheat button is depressed (on
some models).  These switches are cheaply made and can be intermittent
causing the issue you describe. Try bypassing the switch or pressing the
preheat button momentarily (if wired to the pump circuit) and see if the
RPMs pick back up.  I personally think its best to bypass the oil pressure
switch so the pump runs when the key is on. Bypassing also makes filter
changes much easier.

3) The bracket that the pump is mounted to is prone to harmonic vibration
on some models (30B particularly) can vibrate the wires lose or fatigue the
bracket until it breaks.  I would check the wiring and/or relocate the pump
if the bracket is cracked.  I mounted ours in the starboard cockpit locker.

Walter,
We have a 3 blade 12X10 DJ355 Mighigan Wheel propellor on our W18 with a
2.05 ratio.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 5:38 PM Wehicks via Public-List <