[Public-List] stern tube question

Don Campbell dk.campbell at xplornet.ca
Fri Feb 1 06:39:48 PST 2019

David:
    You have probably bent the drive shaft with the dockline as I suspect
that is the weakest part of your drivetrain.. If you recall, Kris Coward
said he had a bent driveshaft and I have had one as well. The bend in my
shaft was about 0.005" and was small enough that the machine shop I took
things to managed to work that back to straight with a lathe and some
sideways pressure. Stainless is very malleable, and bends easily. I am
surprised though that you only have a 7/8" shaft for a diesel. They are
usually a full 1" because of the extra torque developed by diesels. It the
shaft did not bend, then the coupler probably gave because of that torque
or, if that did not fail, a motor mount has bent. You should have that
diesel on flex mounts. Whatever has been the resistance with the dockline,
it will have been the torque developed by your motor that will have caused
the weakest link to fail.
Don