[Public-List] The photo of stern tube parts--very helpful!

Marcelo D. Gentinetta vanguard64 at cox.net
Tue Feb 5 18:20:26 PST 2019

Good evening,       I have been following the conversation with interest too, for the day will come that I have to deal with mine. Mine was redone when the PO installed a Moyer reconditioned Atomic 4 a few years ago. My questions are the following.
If I remove the 2 bolts holding the cutlass housing and loosen the double clamps on the aft end of the rubber hose connecting the stern tube to the stuffing box, shouldn’t the housing plus stern tube side out off the shaft?
If I don’t do that and simply try to unscrew the housing off the stern tube, won’t that twist the tube at the clamps  making the whole assembly turn?
When I look from inside the boat, I get the impression I am looking at a tube of fiberglass not bronze coming through the hull. Is the bronze stern tube inside a fiberglass tube?
As you can see, I haven’t had to deal with this yet so I am a bit confused on the details.

Marcelo
Alegria #441