[Public-List] Rudder Update on Laughing Gull

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Fri Jan 25 08:16:50 PST 2019

Jonathan,

For the problem of the rudder pin being loose in the shoe
(https://alberg30maintenance.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/20190123_160628-1.jpg),
I would be tempted to get a 1/2" ID, 5/8" OD bronze bushing, drill out
the shoe to 5/8", and install that. Talk to a machinist, and they might
suggest something ever-so-slightly smaller than 5/8", heating the shoe
to expand it, and pressing the bushing in.

I did a repair on "Good Week" once, and both the shoe and the threads in
the rudder were worn/corroded. I just went up to a 5/8" pin. I still
have the drill bits and bottom tap for doing that, if anybody needs to
borrow it.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org