[Public-List] Rudder Update on Laughing Gull

Michael Connolly crufone at comcast.net
Fri Jan 25 11:57:02 PST 2019

Jonathan,

I read your blog report with great interest. Not sure where you are going with the rudder pivot repair, but no bushing journal should have a threaded surface. Surface must be smooth, polished if you will. Many have installed floating pins, e.g., both hinges are gougeons and no pintle is employed. Also owners have used replacement high tech, plastics to mfg bushings, esp in the rudder shoe pivot with good results.

For the rudder stock tiller fitting. First determine how it is installed. Many have a pinch bolt which slides into a concave depression in the stock. Some also have a key and keyway. Best method is heat. Remove any through bolts. Top of stock fitting should then pull straight off top end of stock. Heat and cool, heat and cool not just once but serveal times. Protect cockpit sole while doiong this. Since you have removed the rudder blade from the upper stock you can arrange a slid hammer on the stock. Stack up metal washers around the stock in the cock;pit just below the tiller head and above the thrust washer. Tape them in place. Slide a heavy tube onto the upper rudder stock below the water line. Fasten something to keep this slide hammer from coming off the end of the stock. Slide the "hammer" sharply down to this stop to dislodge the tiller fitting.
Good Luck Take your time it will come off.
Michael #133