[Public-List] TSA

gordon white gewhite at crosslink.net
Fri Mar 8 09:31:25 PST 2019

     A few years ago I had driven to Steamboat Springs, Colorado in my
1985 Honda CRX. While I was there the fuel pump died. For some reason
there was not such a pump at the local auto parts store nor for some
reason could any local mechanic order one. I had to be home fairly
shortly, so I flew back to Washington, DC.

     I was able to buy a proper fuel pump and headed back to Colorado by
air. I had the pump, in its box, in my carry-on bag. The flight went by
way of Minneapolis and from past experience I knew I could almost
certainly get a space-available flight from there without the four hour
layover on my ticketed flight, I just could not check anything.

     But TSA would not allow me to carry the new fuel pump in my
carry-on. When I protested that it was not a prohibited item I was
threatened with arrest for objecting. Fortunately Northwest Air Lines
had a small box they could put it in to check it, but the upshot was
that I arrived in Denver too late to catch the puddle-jumper flight to
Steamboat and had to take a bus so arrived  far later than I would have
if I had been able to carry the pump in my carry-on. ( my displeasure
was not notably eased by seeing  a pilot walk around the TSA scanners
and off to the ramp with no one checking him - not even look to see if
he had a badge)

     I guess the answer is that TSA inspectors are neither boat nor car
guys and have not the slightest mechanical knowledge.

- Gordon White, Brigadoon I(I