[Public-List] Can I be sure my 52 year old FG hull (A-30) is still seaworthy?

Randy Katz randy.katz50 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 17:30:48 PST 2019

Hello, Alberg Sailors,

My A-30 (#249) is now 52 years old. That's shocking in one sense, and it
stimulates a bit of anxiety knowing that it was built so long ago in the
early days of fiberglass. (I know, they are said to have "overbuilt" them,
but build quality varied hull to hull, perhaps depending upon which college
kids were on the job that week. Our fine vessels are production boats after
all.)

What I wonder is this-- Is checking the hull by sounding (hauled out) with
a ballpeen hammer (gently) or the handle end of a screwdriver, listening
for the solid ping sound, a sufficient means for assessing hull quality?
Would I be better off to hire a surveyor or can I, as an advanced DIY
person, assume that my own thorough job would do it?

Many thanks. I imagine plenty of you must be "in the same boat," har har!

Best Regards,

Randy Katz
Simple Gifts #249
Seattle/Bellingham