[Public-List] questions about starters & alternators

Randy Katz randy.katz50 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 17:10:56 PST 2019

Greetings, A-30 Enthusiasts,

Thanks for the replies I received to earlier questions re: starter &
alternator checks after 1700 hours, checking the soundness of my 50 year
old hull, and the poorly designed water pump for the Universal/Westerbeke
M3-20B diesel.

Don Campbell sent an expansive reply with many excellent suggestions &
notes--Don, would you be willing to share that with the rest of the group?
Others could well benefit from your experience and wisdom.

Rod (see below)--the diodes in my case remain fine with the alternator
functioning the same as it always did. Fortunately, I've not been struck by
lightning--yet! For that reason, there's no reason to check them: they work!

Michael (below)—I have to guess what the "delco gear" is, but your
description suggests the part that slides easily and smoothly to engage
starter gear teeth with the flywheel. I learned there are two types of
starters:

            * Inertia Type—A basic cylinder, which includes a Bendix drive
(and perhaps the Delco gear)

            * Pre-engaged Type--with Solenoid attached: A cylinder with a
solenoid on top (a smaller cylinder shape). When activated, the solenoid
activates an arm which slides the starter’s gear teeth into the flywheel’s.
It’s possible to jump contacts on the back of the solenoid to make starting
the engine possible by by-passing the solenoid if it’s not functional.

The starter parts of mine (pre-engaged) seem to work fine.

And Michael (below re: bearings)--The alternator pulley turns freely and
smoothly, so I’m going to assume there’s no need for a special bearing
test. I have yet to check the free play of bearings in my slowly failing
water pump, but plan to on my next trip to the boat.

Many thanks to all for taking the time to share this useful info.

Best Regards,

Randy Katz

Simple Gifts #249

Seattle/Bellingham, WA