[Public-List] Cleaning the starter motor commutator

Randy Katz randy.katz50 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 09:18:35 PST 2019

Michael, Thanks again for your comment. That rang a bell, so I looked this
up in *Marine Diesel Engines* (3rd ed, the small 2007 book) by Nigel Calder
which I'd recently consulted. I was wondering about sandpaper vs emery or
wet/dry. Here's what he says on p. 79, a bit ambiguously perhaps:

*You can clean the commutator by pulling  strip of fine sandpaper (400- to
600-grit wet-or-dry) lightly back and forth until all of the segments are
uniformly shiny. Cut back the insulation between each segment of the
commutator to just below the level of the copper segments by drawing a
knife or sharp screwdriver across each strip of insulation. Take care not
to scratch the copper or burr its edges...*
I plan to see what I can find in the way of very fine sandpaper...

Thanks,
Randy Katz
Simple Gifts #249
Seattle/Bellingham, WA