[Public-List] Backstay Knee Rot - prevention and fix

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Mon Nov 25 06:49:25 PST 2019

Hi Andrew, et al,

The backstay chainplate knee has a known and established builder's defect.
When constructed, they cut the glassed in top off the chainplate before
fitting the deck, exposing the plywood to leak vulnerability.
Doubtless this was to ensure the knee didn't obstruct the placement of the
deck.

If you use plywood again (recommended), simply glass over the top of the
knee, and fillet the knee to soften (radius) the curve at the knee / hull
interface.

For those whose knees are in good shape, I recommend using Marine Tex epoxy
putty and sealing the top of the knee in place. That is what we did on our
A-30, as well as our A-37.

The builder should have sealed the knee at the top, but didn't, doubtless
due to the production schedule which was intense at the time. In its heyday,
A-30s were coming out of the molds at a rate of 3 times a week.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

John