[Public-List] Backstay Knee Rot

David A. Bardsley davebardsley at eastlink.ca
Mon Nov 25 06:45:41 PST 2019

   Andrew,
   When inspecting Ginseng's aftstay chain plate I also noticed the knee
   had gone soft, as did the deck core around where the chain plate
   penetrates the deck.  I've cut back the deck and removed all of the
   unservicable balsa coring but am not sure how best to proceed with
   replacing the knee material.
   Since I've already opened the deck's top surface presumably in my case
   the best procedure would be to carry onward and open the bottom side of
   the deck and access the rotten knee filler material from there.
   Do you, or anyone else, have an experience to share regarding how to
   proceed with an aft chain plate knee filler replacement?
   Sincerely,
   Dave
   Ginseng #574