[Public-List] Battery Terminals -- screw on or auto posts

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 15:48:53 PDT 2019

Thank you both.

Meant to check the batteries today, while preparing the boat for this
weekend Race to Oxford and Hammond Memorial Race, to check the screw posts
to see if their bases showed a ring of lead, something that would provide a
path for the current that does not rely upon the stainless screw post.
 Forgot to do so!  Blast!  Did get the light bulb replaced in the steaming
light, among other items.  That was good.

Jonathan

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 11:02 AM George Dinwiddie via Public-List <

> I think the resistance of that short piece of stainless will have
> negligible effect. I've never had a problem with starter currents.
>
>   - George
>
> On 9/3/19 5:48 AM, Jonathan Bresler via Public-List wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > Heard the other day that the 1/4"(?) screw posts on batteries are for
> > radios and other items that draw low current because the screw posts are
> > stainless steel.   High currents should be supplied by attaching to the
> > automotive posts (1/2"? 5/8"? diameter) which are made of lead.   The
> idea
> > being that lead is more conductive than stainless steel.
> >
> > How do you connect your starters and alternators to the batteries?
> >
> > Jonathan
> >

> --
>    When I remember bygone days                         George Dinwiddie
>    I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
>    So many I loved were not yet dead,           http://www.Alberg30.org
>    So many I love were not yet born.                          also see:
>                 'The Middle' by Ogden Nash     http://idiacomputing.com

Jonathan M Bresler
S/V Constance Alberg 30 #262
Annapolis/Eastport MD