[Public-List] What is the ballast bedded in?

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Apr 24 17:29:55 PDT 2020

Hello Adam -

The glass above the iron casting isn’t intended to be watertight… its purpose is to keep the encapsulated casting down in position should the yacht assume an extreme angle of heel.   If you’ve got water coming up, that’s an indication that there’s damage to the exterior of the keel.  This is a common issue caused by striking rocks etc over the years of service.   Alberg 30’s can develop a crack down the centre of the ‘knuckle’ of the keel, the part down low where the keel would strike something.

The cure is to grind away damaged lamination and repair with thickened epoxy and cloth held in place with waxed paper, cardboard and tape till it cures.  Messy, but not very difficult to do.

Traditionally tar was poured down into keel voids… we supply Jeffrey’s #2 for this purpose, also for laid deck seams in large vessels.  It comes in blocks which one chips off pieces as needed, melts then pours into the voids with an iron ladle.  It has rubber in the ingredients, so remains flexible.  It adheres, but not so much you can’t get it out if you have to.

Gordon Laco
#426 Surprise
www.gordonlaco.com