[Public-List] Odd hole in the forward battery area

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 18:45:22 PDT 2020

Dan,

The following is from Constance #262.  Our boats should not be too
different.  Appears that both were built in 1967.

The forward end of the forward battery compartment has a semi-circular hole
that allows the area forward of that and
below the cabin sole to drain into the forward battery compartment.

The forward end of the aft battery compartment has a semi-circular hole
that allows the area forward battery compartment
to drain into the aft battery compartment.

Both battery compartments are built of sit in a thick "tray" glassed into
the hull.  The tray has a wooden divider between the
forward and aft battery compartments and a wooden divider between the aft
battery compartment and the bilge under the
engine.

My notes, from about 14 months ago, indicate that there is a hole in the
bottom surface of the aft battery area.
That hole is 2-1/2" forward of the aft "bulkhead" that separate the aft
battery area from the open bilge under the engine.
Under the battery area, the tray, is open space. From the underside of that
hole in the aft battery tray to the bottom
of the empty space is 14-5/8".

The empty space under the forward battery area, measured from a hole in the
bottom 5-1/2" forward of the divider
between the forward and the aft battery areas, is 11-5/8" deep.

When I first got Constance, in 2015, I pulled an number of items out of the
bilge, glasses, screwdriver, D cell battery
that had opened up in the wet, nuts, etc.   Some of the items were located
forward of the divider between the bilge
under the engine and the empty space under the aft battery compartment.
The divider does not go all the way to the
bottom, but stops a couple inches short of the bottom, so that I can just
reach down while lying on the cabin sole, and
reach forward under the divider with a few fingers to fish stuff out.

Have the idea that someday, I'll glass into the bottom of the boat from the
chain locker to these empty spaces a half section
of PVC pipe to allow the anchor chain to be stored in this empty area.
Have not ripped out the water tank in the v-berth
so this remains a figment of my imagination.  Would need to build a bit of
raised floor in the area between the head and
the hanging locker, as well as, figure out a way to be able to deal with
any chain snagging down in there.  Perhaps removable
panels in the bottom of the battery areas, or Beckson deck plates.  The
bottom of each battery box is more than wide enough
for a deck plate.

Hope this helps,
Jonathan

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 8:15 PM Daniel Sternglass via Public-List <

> Hello A30 people,
>
> By way of installing the rear battery in my (older design) A-30 today, I
> noticed a _small circular ___vertical hole_, roughly 0.5"D __is doing on
> the bottom of the rear battery region__, forward near the battery's
> forward bulkhead_. I never noticed that hole until now. 10 or more years
> ago I coated the battery comportment floors and forward with epoxy
> putty. I must not have have noticed it at that time.
>
> If this typical? I'd like to understand what would happen if water runs
> enters or exits into the area below the battery floor that it sits on.
> My first instinct is to fill this small hole, but the hole looks
> deliberate. Maybe there is a lower path to the bilge? Currently, my
> float switch is low in the battery compartment. I have seen water in
> there a few times for various reasons. I certainty don't want to disturb
> any iron in the keel, but the boat has been fine for all the time I've
> had it, and as far as I know this has not been a problem.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Dan Sternglass
> Watcher of the Skies, Ithaca, NY
>
> dans at stmktg.com