[Public-List] dodgers

Gordon White gewhite at crosslink.net
Wed Jul 8 11:57:54 PDT 2020

     We bought a dodger from Alexandria Sailmakers, many years ago (25,
at least) and were very happy with it, in rain or chilly weather, or in
July with a bimini awning that zipped to the aft end of the dodger.
Unfortunately, it needed new zippers a year ago and the local canvas
shop here in Deltaville, VA somehow threw ours away by mistake. They
made us a new one, of course, but its fit is nowhere near as good.

     Yes, it interferes with the forward winches on both sides, but we
(a pre-liner boat) have winch pedestals  further aft on both sides which
we mainly use. Both are, self-tailing, which is an immense benefit,
especially when sailing single-handed, or with just the two of us.

     The other item I would not be without is a manual anchor capstan.
There have been times when I could not have manually lifted a 40 pound
anchor. (Manually-operated, by a lever, saves the battery.)

  - Gordon White, Brigadoon II