[Public-List] Multiple pock marks on hull below waterline

Michael dickdurk at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 16:49:16 PDT 2020

I have a '67 #220 many years ago, being somewhat more ambitious, ground
down to bare fiberglass preparatory to applying InterProtect. Blisters
became apparent in that process, I had maybe four quarter sized. Smaller
blisters seemed to form just under the gel coat (maybe head of pin
sized), it looked like they just popped the surface gel coat off.
Anyway, drilled two small holes (vertically) in the blisters-they were
not deep in the GRP-a brown liquid under considerable pressure squirted
out. A friendly Pharmacist provided horse sized needle and syringes,
flushed the blisters with acetone, and injected thickened polyester,
from the bottom hole until it squeezed out the top one. A down and dirty
fix, for sure, but I have seen some awful remediations in the boatyard.
I am quite pleased with the result, there have been no more new
blisters, and I keep the boat in water year round several years at a
time.
I saved the hole saw piece of hull from a depth sounder install (an
operation not for the faint of heart) it's 7/16" thick. These puppies
are built like tanks.
Michael Grosh
When I worked in a boatyard back in the '70's (for a very short time) we
used an automotive product called White Diamond for fairing. I don't
think it is available anymore, but it was an epoxy. I would use Marine
Tex below the waterline, Then again, the whole boat is polyester, so I'm
not sure what the advantage/disadvantage would be, but I believe it has
to do with water absorption .  MG