[Public-List] Stern tube

David Fay davidfay999 at gmail.com
Thu May 28 03:14:17 PDT 2020

Hi Gerard,

The "dark grey rubbery caulk" is called thiokol, https://polyspec.com/products/thiokol/thiokol-2235m/ <https://polyspec.com/products/thiokol/thiokol-2235m/>. It's also known as Satan's caulking, if you try to remove it (http://svcookie.blogspot.com/2011/10/thiokol-satans-caulking.html <http://svcookie.blogspot.com/2011/10/thiokol-satans-caulking.html>).

You need to determine where the water is coming from. One possibility is that it has found its way between the outside of the stern tube and the thiokol. This is a serious problem that may require replacement of the stern tube.

The other possibility is that your hose, which runs between the bronze stuffing box and the forward end of the stern tube, is not attached tightly enough to the stern tube. So the water is coming through the stern tube, which it should, but then leaking out the joint between the hose and the stern tube, which it shouldn't.  In this case, all you have to do is tighten the hose clamps sufficiently to stop the leak.

I had a similar leak on my boat and ended up having to replace the stern tube. I can provide some guidance on how to do that.

David
Blue Teal, #284