[Public-List] Stern tube

Gerard Kuperus gkuperus at hotmail.com
Thu May 28 08:32:48 PDT 2020

David,

That is very helpful, although not necessarily good news: it is indeed leaking from the Thiokol. Since I do not plan another haulout right now, what would be my best options to stop the leak for now. Could I use a sealant on it that can be applied to wet surfaces? Some underwater epoxy?
As far as I could tell when I replaced the cutlass bearing is that the stern tube is in good shape. I think that because of the movement with removing the bearing a weak point in the Thiokol (at the bottom there is only a thin section, less than a 1/2 inch, at the spot where I saw water, probably a 1/4 of an inch) gave up. Maybe that is wishful thinking, but I hope I can simply fix it, at least for now with an adhesive that works in wet conditions and sticks to fiberglass and Thiokol. I can then again assess at the next haul out.

Suggestions?

Gerard