[Public-List] Stern tube

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu May 28 08:36:43 PDT 2020

Gerard,

On 5/28/20 1:26 AM, Gerard Kuperus via Public-List wrote:
> Hello Alberg 30 folks,
>
> In the fall I hauled Skye Mist, redid the bottom and with the aid of the helpful guides on the Alberg 30 site I managed to successfully replace the cutless bearing. When I was back in the water I noticed some leaking. I assumed it was the rudder post. I forgot about it and the leak seemed to have disappeared. The last couple of weeks it has returned and I finally figured out the stern tube is leaking where it is connected to the hull. It is sealed with a dark grey rubbery caulk spread out liberally at the top, less so at the bottom, which is hard to reach. A couple of questions: what is this caulking? How should I fix the leak (in the water)? Any suggestions for getting better access to this area?

The caulking around the stern tube holds it in place, but is not
required for keeping water out of the boat. Principally that falls on
the caulking under the cutless bearing housing. Don't forget to caulk
the bolts holding that housing, too.

If that's not it, there could be leakage paths at either end of the
stern tube. As David says, the hose on the forward end is most likely.
Theoretically there's a possiblility for water to leak past the threads
at the aft end, but I've never heard of that happening.

  - George [who has more experience in this area than I want]

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org