[Public-List] Stern tube

Mike Lehman mlehman at gmail.com
Thu May 28 14:08:19 PDT 2020

Gerard,

I have removed and re-bedded the stern tube several times on several boats
over the years, all without having to remove the engine. It is not an easy
task, but it is possible. Removing the engine would make it easier, but
then you face a shaft alignment issue. The cutlass bearing housing screws
onto the end of the shaft and provides shaft alignment. It the stern tube
is leaking and the seal is broken, then you can remove the prop, remove the
two bolts on the housing, turn the housing clockwise so it does not unscrew
from the tube and by pulling and twisting the tube, pull it out without
removing the housing. Clean out all of the grey caulking inside the hole in
the boat, liberally apply 3M 5200 to the tube and inside the hole (careful
not to get any between the shaft and the tube) and put it back together. Be
sure to add some sealant to the bolt holes for the housing since the go
through the hull (which may be where your leaks are now). The hard part is
lying over the engine to apply more 5200 around the tube on the inside,
something you may want to try now, since the more permanent repair I
described means the boat is out of the water. Hope this helps

Mike Lehman

On Thu, May 28, 2020, 1:27 AM Gerard Kuperus via Public-List <