[Public-List] Alberg 30 Sail Plan

Tom Swift swiftlaw at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 11:43:28 PST 2021

Hi all: My 2 cents.

I have found that Sirius ( hull # 222) needs the jib furled to about 40% to
maintain a balanced boat in our customary summer Southwesterlies here in
Buzzards Bay.  The afternoon blows like old faithful at 15 knots from June
through August. My full 100% genoa gives an unfriendly weather helm and
leaves me trapped at the tiller as, like Daniel, I too always sail solo.

In the fall I leave a single reef in from mid-September until I haul,
usually right after Halloween.  My Alberg loves the 20 to 25 knots in those
fall days with a single reef and the genoa furled up to 50%.  But I never
really shake that weather helm.

Self-steering or even a break from the helm without heaving-to is a problem
I just do not know how to solve. The lines on her are too classic and
pretty for me to install a wind vane.

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 3:48 PM Marcelo D. Gentinetta via Public-List <