[Public-List] corroded rudder

Stephen Gwyn stephen.gwyn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 16:11:45 PST 2021

There's a lot of slop in the middle fitting.

Underway, it's more of a clunk when I tack and the load shifts
to the other side. When this happened 15 years ago, it was fixed by
putting a bushing in the shoe.

The yard is also not convinced there isn't more corrosion a long the shaft.
They reluctantly recommending rebuilding the rudder.
Reluctantly, because they're extremely busy right now and don't need
extra work.

While a lot of the sailing I do is in light wind, I do seem to end up
pounding through 4 foot waves a few times a year. I've never fussed
about the boat breaking. Knowing I've lost that much metal a
key spot will not make me calm.

SG