[Public-List] Alberg 30 Sail Plan

Michael dickdurk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 05:17:37 PDT 2021

I'm with Mike M on this.  I find my Yanmar 15 does everything I want
speed and power wise. It is capable of driving the boat well over 7
knots-although the engine does complain about that (black smoke). At 5
knots fuel consumption is less than 1/2 gall/hr.  That means I could
motor from Turkey Point to Thimble Light (the length of the Bay, for all
the outliers) with current 18 gal. fuel tank, although why I would do
that is another question. Much more power than the original A4, that may
be because of reduction gearing/bigger wheel; gas engines measured with
brake horsepower and diesels measured with shaft horsepower and we are
right back to apples and oranges comparisons.
Michael Grosh
BTW I once compared specs of the Yanmar QM 15 with the later GM 18. Some
different engineering (unsleeved and FW cooling for 2) but bore and
stroke were the same. They achieved the HP increase by increasing rated
RPM. That's pretty close to cheating IMHO.