[Public-List] Alberg 30 Sail Plan

R Kirk isobar at verizon.net
Wed Mar 17 08:53:17 PDT 2021

Nice analysis, Kris. You show that youneed 5-7 KW to power the A30. And also:

“Ofcourse none of this addresses range: batteries, generators, howmuch
theyweigh, or where you'd put them -- and that's really thetricky
businesswith repowering an A30 to electric.”theyweigh, or where you'd put them -- and that's really thetrickybusinesswith repowering an A30 to electric.”

I’mguessing that to replace an Atomic 4 and keep the boat’s weight thesame you could add about 6 lead acid 12v batteries. (More, of course,if you used lighterLithiums,but where would you put them?) Those6 plus the 2 existing batteries could be wired to give you a nice 48Vsupply for the electric motor and wouldgive you about 10Kwh storagecapacity.
So,in broad terms, you have an hour or two of power from fully charged batteries to use if you’rein a hurry or fighting strong currents. More - but how much - if you only need acouple of knots in calm water. Remindsme of the WW2 submarines that could stay underwater at 2Kts for acouple of days but only had ½ hour at full speed in battle.
Any thoughts?