[Public-List] Alberg 30 Sail Plan

Kris Coward kris at melon.org
Wed Mar 17 14:39:25 PDT 2021

I added 4 group 31s, each weighing in at about 70lb. 2 of them went
under the aft ends of the v-berth, and since I switched to a compoating
toilet at the end of '09, I removed the top from the integral holding
tank (Candy Cane being a liner boat), and put the other two in there
(actually, because the tank has a sloping shape, only the aftmost
battery in the former holding tank is a group 31; I moved the group 27
from the house bank to the forward position in the holding tank, and put
the last propulsion battery in the battery bilge -- either way, all the
batteries that aren't under the aft end of the v-berth are under the
cabin sole in the saloon).

If I really want some additional cruising range under power, there's
plenty of freed up space in the engine compartment for me to be able to
stow a Honda 2000 or equivalent, and still be able to leave it ashore
while racing. Alternately, I've browsed around and seen marine diesel
generators (for a fixed installation) in the 10kW range, that would fit
quite comfortably in the vacant space in the engine compartment, but I
don't want to spend that kind of money or add that kind of weight.

If I were sticking something like that in, I'd probably upgrade the
motor to 10kW, even though I have yet to run it harder than 4kW -- and
even that was just to test current draw vs. speed on an initial install
(the testing from which I got my estimate on how much power you'd want
to go how fast, and which was done in early 2018, with 2 years of
uncleaned growth on the bottom). I haven't run the motor higher than 4kW
(and rarely even go above 2kW, which gets me 3-3.5kts) because even
without Peukert's Law reducing capacity, higher speeds give lower range,
and I want to conserve that power for when I might need it.

Lithium seems like a nice alternative because it's lighter, can be fully
discharged without damage, and doesn't see significant capacity
reduction at higher draw. Outside of being expensive though (about 4x
the cost of a flooded cell lead-acid, last I checked), it also takes up
a lot of space. Sure a 105Ah lithium battery is 1/3 the weight of a
105Ah lead-acid -- but they're still roughly the same size.

The way I see it, increasing range under battery (or getting some sort
of generator going) is a future problem. I'm pretty sure it won't be
terribly long before the appropriate technologies exist and are
affordable, because the world needs to get to carbon-neutral by 2050.
Candy Cane's already 46 years old and still going strong, and I don't
think it's unreasonable to expect that she'll still be sailing then. The
electric motor itself (along with the controller that drives it) already
has an efficiency rating of 97 or 98% (I don't have the spec sheet
handy), so that's a pretty stable technology to move to. Meanwhile,
lead-acid batteries are kind of a consumable anyway, so it was really a
decision when the old engine needed a rebuild, of doing a bit to
future-proof the boat, or continuing to throw piles of money at a
technology that has an expiry date within my lifetime -- because I'm
significnatly younger than the people suggesting that it's almost
heretical to go electric. They'll probably have died of old age by 2050,
while I'll be about as old then as they are now. (And on that note, I
don't see any need to convince them that electric is good, or even ok; I
think that Max Planck's famous remark on scientific progress applies
quite adequately to this topic.)

Cheers,
Kris