[Public-List] Clever, but perhaps not so clever...

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Dec 14 14:32:16 PST 2022

Hello shipmates,

So there I was, deciding at last to order myself a dodger for SURPRISE.  Once upon a time I despised fibreglass boats (but now I have one) I despised aluminium masts (but now I have one) I despised standing headroom down below (and now I have it) and I especially despised inboard engines, roller furling headsails and wheel steering (and now I have and enjoy all of them).

I’m ordering my dodger from Nat Genco… whose family made making dodgers and other canvass work for Whitby Boatworks products since both Whitby Boat Works and Genco Marine started at about the same time.  They know Alberg 30 like nobody else.

I knew that Nat would need to know the comfortable height of my boom above the companionway in order to most correctly determine the height of my dodger… and oh wasn’t I chuckling to myself a month ago about how clever I am when I remembered to measure that height before I was asked for it.

I did measure it… but what did I do with the results of that measurement?  I do recall writing it down on something…

So, would any of you southern American brethren who still have their rigs up care to do me the great favour of sending me the measurement between the top of the closed companionway slider, and the underside of their boom, and maybe a picture of their boat broadside so I can reckon how close your boom at rest is to mine?

Gord
Surprise 426

Gordon Laco
www.gordonlaco.com