[Public-List] Internal mounting of depth sounder??

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Feb 18 15:59:36 PST 2022

Hello Stephen -

The deepest sounding we’ve registered here on Georgian Bay is about 360 feet… and of course our ’Thirty Thousand Islands’ coast has a lot of very thin water.  We tend to steer what I call Battleship Courses when we can… that is 40’ of water or more.  The water here is very clear so there have been heart stopping moments when passing over a reef when we’ve glimpsed the planet rising out of the depths when approaching channels etc…

We did slam into Hotchkiss Rock a couple of years ago… We were in something like 140 feet of water; until we weren’t.

So… on another topic, I’m just home for supper from working a few hours on my dinghy… I’ll post something about that on my facebook page later. Woodenboat building is very satisfying work.  The dinghy is pretty much up to full weight now… I did a test lift to feel its weight… haha, it’s very light.   One of my motivations in this project was to achieve a light dinghy so my friend Fred in his Invader 36 doesn’t find himself ahead of us too often.

Gordon Laco
426 Surprise