[Public-List] Tiller Pilots

David Fay davidfay999 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 14:51:15 PDT 2022

I recently replaced my Simrad TP32, which never worked that well, with a Pelagic Systems Autopilot, configuring it as an above deck tiller pilot. I love it.

For motoring, it works perfectly, especially as it has a gyroscope, which lets it compensate for rolls with the waves.

For sailing, I can only use it for sailing to a compass bearing since I don't have electronic wind instruments. It works very well for this. But I'm still learning how to use it. Sometimes when I use it to tack, it tacks less or more than 90 degrees. That's easy to adjust for by pushing the +/- 2 degree buttons multiple times after the tack. But there are some adjustments to sensitivity that I haven't investigated yet which may be a help.

The Pelagic autopilot is designed to replace the Simrad TP32 and similar tiller pilots so installation was a snap. I could use the same anchor I already had on my tiller and the electronics layout was very similar to the TP32. The master controller though was a separate box which the TP32 didn't have so I had to mount that on the bulkhead and run some wires. All in all, installation took a couple of hours.

Engineering design-wise, the Pelagic seems much more robust than the TP32 and it is much quieter as well. The only downside I can see is the higher price -- it will run you about $1K. Oh, and they currently have a production delay due to the pandemic.

David
Blue Teal #284