[Public-List] Air cannon?

Michael dickdurk at gmail.com
Mon May 2 04:04:33 PDT 2022

My Daughter bought a potato cannon over the internet for some high
school science project-with my credit card. I still have it someplace.
PVC, uses a fire system/water sprinkler valve for a trigger (that kind
of valve is an immediate open/shut), it's caliber is actually tennis
ball. Charged up with 150 lbs of air, well, let's just say I wouldn't
want it aimed at me. That could be regulated by charging pressure.
The project involved students demonstrating non chemical projectile
delivery systems-trebuchets, catapaults etc. I don't think air cannons
were considered in the list of possibilities. The physics teacher's
quote was, after demonstrating, "Sarah, you are going to get me fired".
Anyway, if you want to give it a shot (pun not really intended) I can
look for it. You'll need 1/2 dozen tennis balls or so to dial in the air
pressure, I wouldn't plan on recovering the balls unless a big open
field is involved (or dingy recovery boat), and an air compressor. It
holds air for more than one shot, and it doesn't take a whole lot of air
volume (I think one of those 12 volt car compressors would do it).
Accurate enough to scare the begeesus out of something to about 75
yards, I'd say. Total range a lot more than that.
Michael Grosh