[Public-List] Moving to Google groups?

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sat Nov 19 10:15:20 PST 2022

Jonathan,

Having spent a half-day recently adding a DMARC record to the
alberg30.org DNS, I took a look at a recent DMARC daily aggregate report
from GMail and saw this snippet:

   <record>
     <row>
       <source_ip>209.85.220.69</source_ip>
       <count>2</count>
       <policy_evaluated>
         <disposition>none</disposition>
         <dkim>fail</dkim>
         <spf>fail</spf>
         <reason>
           <type>local_policy</type>
           <comment>arc=pass</comment>
         </reason>
       </policy_evaluated>
     </row>
     <identifiers>
       <header_from>alberg30.org</header_from>
     </identifiers>
     <auth_results>
       <dkim>
         <domain>honeylove.com</domain>
         <result>pass</result>
         <selector>google</selector>
       </dkim>
       <spf>
         <domain>honeylove.com</domain>
         <result>pass</result>
       </spf>
     </auth_results>
   </record>

Interestingly enough, the IP address 209.85.220.69 belongs to Google:

$nslookup 209.85.220.69
	Non-authoritative answer:
	69.220.85.209.in-addr.arpa	name = mail-sor-f69.google.com.

I don't know much about DMARC, but my guess is that Google has an error
in their own internal mail forwarding rules. Perhaps that's a reason
that Google has been refusing so much email from the alberg30.org lists.
Or perhaps having a DMARC record that requests no action be taken on
failed messages will increase the likelihood of mail being delivered--I
don't know.

Good luck with your new job as an email list administrator.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org