[Public-List] Drain hoses

Marcelo D. Gentinetta vanguard64 at cox.net
Thu Feb 16 12:43:17 PST 2023

Hi Scott,
I tackled this problem with 441 a few years ago. I reconfigured the entire cockpit and scupper drain system which was poorly designed to begin with. It may be more work than you want to deal with right now but this is what I did and it works so much better.
1. I replaced the original thru hull valves with two 1 1/2 inch Groco bronze flanged ball valves. They are through bolted and sit on a round base of G-10 epoxied to the hull.
2. I replaced the two cockpit drains with 1 1/2 inch Marelon flush drains. This required cutting out the old ones and some epoxy work to create  a tapered base to seat the new ones.
3. These drains go directly to the Groco ball valves using 1 1/2 inch exhaust hose.
4. I cut out the original scupper drains on deck and replaced them with 3/4 inch flush drains. I got these from T-H marine.
5. I added two plastic through hulls about 12 inches below each scupper drain. These through hulls are above the water line and connect to the scupper drains via a 3/4 inch vinyl hose. Now, the water that collects there drains directly out instead of going to that old T in the cockpit drain hose which always got clogged before and was a big headache to deal with.

I hope this helps.
Marcelo Gentinetta
#441 Alegría